Monday, November 9, 2009

Marble Chiffon Cake - The Cake That Never Served Its Purpose


I had a purpose in mind when I made this cake. Made for a special day, for a special person. Somehow all that has changed in the past month. I grew up with chiffons. I love chiffons. So much so I can't resist whenever I come across one, yet at the same time, I never dared to make them. This time, I succeeded. My Marble Chiffon Cake turned out beautifully well. And the first person I wanted to share this with was that special someone. Which, unfortunately, didn't happen. Though my love for chiffons waned over the years, it was rekindled again at a special moment, one that I will not forget, one that will be with me for life. You can probably imagine my disappointment, my sadness, when I was unable to share this.


The chiffon turned out light and fluffy, with a nice chocolatey taste. I hesitated at cutting it, pondering for a moment whether I should even try to deliver it...and resisted that thought. Now that the whole cake has been eaten up, I finally had the courage to pen this down. This cake will always go down as the cake that never served its purpose.

Still, I love chiffons. I'm glad this time round it turned out well. Feels bitter...yet sweet...


Marble Chiffon Cake
adapted from Cooking Crave

Ingredients:
(A)
95g egg yolks
25g caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp honey

(B)
80g vegetable oil
80g water

(C)
95g cake flour

(D)
10g cocoa powder
10g cake flour

(E)
240g egg whites
120g caster sugar
15g corn flour

Preparation:
1. Whisk together A in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.

2. Add in (B) in their respective order and mix well at each addition.

3. Fold in (C) and incorporate till the mixture is smooth.

4. Divide the egg yolks mixture into two equal portions in two separate mixing bowls.

5. Mix 10g cake flour into one of the egg yolks mixture and 10g cocoa powder into the other bowl of egg yolks mixture. Whisk the mixture till well incorporated.

6. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until foamy. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time and finally add in corn flour. Beat till stiff peak form, the mixture should be glossy.

7. Gently fold in half of the egg whites mixture into the cocoa egg yolk mixture and the other half into the plain mixture. Mix till there are no traces of egg whites.

8. Spoon in the plain batter into three or four different corners of the tube pan, then cover with cocoa batter, layer by layer till all the batter has been used. Bake in a preheated oven at 170c for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.

9. Invert the cake immediately on a wire rack until it's completely cool before unmoulding the cake.
 
Yields one 23 cm cake.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Allie, thanks for stopping by my blog. Still in Paris now and will be off to check out the pastry temples...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice blog there :). Enjoy yourself in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh....bittersweet memories can inspire and sadden but, glad you've gone down the path of courage. This looks great! Which one shall I make first - Matcha or chocolate....we'll see. kitchenbutterfly.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails