Thursday, January 28, 2010

Malted Milk Ice Cream



In between making the Chinese New Year cookies, I accidentally promised that I'll bring some homemade ice cream for a girly gathering this weekend. That kinda threw me into mild panic mode, as I'm so tied up with all the other things plus the impending Japanese exam that I have no idea how to fit ice cream making into my schedule. But somehow, I did!

Mum's been going on and on about all the chocolate desserts I've been making lately and told me to make something different. Hence I thought malted milk ice cream sounded like a pretty good idea...until the point where I was about to add the chopped maltesers, then I realised that this contained chocolate after all....Oops!

I quietly presented this to her and thank goodness she didn't make any noise about it. I tasted this thereafter and it was delicious! Though the ice cream wasn't as sweet as I would have liked it to be, the chopped maltesers added a nice crunch and rounded off the sweetness level very nicely. I do hope the girls will like it!


Malted Milk Ice Cream
adapted from The Perfect Scoop

Ingredients:
1 cup half and half (I used whole milk)
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup malted milk powder (I used Horlicks)
6 large egg yolks
2 cups malted milk balls, coarsely chopped (I used Maltesers)

Preparation:
1. Warm milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla and malt powder and set a mesh strainer on top.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and whisk it into the malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. As you remove the ice cream from the machine, fold in the chopped malted milk balls.


Yields 1 quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails