Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kueh Bahlu - The Childhood Favourite


When I was a child, I love these lovely lil' cakes called Kueh Bahlu. Everytime I walk past a bakery and caught sight of them, I would squeal in delight and linger a little longer, refusing to go until my mum buys these little cakes for me. Every New Year, grandma would offer these cakes to me without fail, round after round, each time with a sweet, loving smile on her face. She'll always pack some for me and insist I take them home, knowing how much I love them. These cakes brought me many sweet memories...sweet memories of a loving, caring grandmother. Memories that never fail to bring a smile to my face.


Years later, I'm all grown up...grandma has aged significantly too. Yet whenever I see these cakes, the first thing I think of is still my dear grandma...though with a hint of sadness. Visiting her in hospital, she looks a little frail... I really hope she'll get well soon. This New Year, I shall be the one offering these to her. Hopefully it will bring a smile to her face just like how it did to mine.

There's still a couple of months to go before New Year arrives...time to perfect the recipe for these cute little cakes before presenting them to my dear grandma. I can't wait....*smiles*

1 comment:

  1. hello dear, thanks for visiting The Sugar Bar. u take such splendid photos and i adore your blog! :)i love these little cakes. i used to have em a lot when i was a child and my dad would always buy me a bag whenever he passed a traditional bakery. i just loved these too much and so did he actually, with a cup of coffee to dip em in ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails